Skip to content
- In 1990, the Mountaintown Baptist Association bought the property at 1044 Cherry Log Street in Cherry Log, with the dream of starting a church. 5 years later, Rev. James Hollingsworth, a bi-vocational minister volunteered to lead the church, and within 3 years a first unit building was constructed with sanctuary, two classrooms and a kitchen.
- In 1998, Dr Paul and Janice Mims retired to Cherry Log, and two years later, Dr. Mims became the new pastor. A $48,000 building debt was paid off and a new two story educational building was built with volunteer labor from First Baptist Church of Blairsville. The new building debt of $122,000 was paid off within 5 years.
- On June 5, 2011, lightning struck the church facility and it burned to the ground. The church family met in other churches temporarily and grew stronger, waiting for the advent of a new facility. The church had good insurance and within months the Sisson Company of Blue Ridge began construction on the new state-of-the-art facility, which was completed within the year.
- The church continued to grow with full age graded programming, summer programs, missions programs and many ministries, including an MS support Group and a vibrant homeschool network meeting on campus.
- On April 28, 2019, Dr. Paul Mims retired as Pastor, just short of 20 years of noble service.
- May 1, 2019, Dr. David Drake was called as the interim pastor, a position of counsel and inspiration he held faithfully for almost a year.
- On April 6, 2020, the church called pastor/author/architect Gordon Lawrence as the new pastor of the church.
- The history of Cornerstone is not understood just by the men who have served as pastor, but by the dedication of the men and women, youth and children, who have made up this congregation. Members have come and gone, and God has created a blessed fellowship that is on mission for our Lord.